I am a technique junkie. I really love to try new ideas and see what happens. And so when I saw this tutorial on how to use watercolor pencils, I had to try it. I've had a set of watercolor pencils sitting around my art studio forever. And when I say forever, I mean like at least 10 years. I've never been happy with the results I got from them. But then I tried this tutorial and wow.
Here's what I did:
- created a background of old map images
- took a piece of parchment or freezer paper, crumpled it up, and splotched on gesso over the map background
- Following the tutorial, I drew the flower image on a separate piece of paper
- I used too much water and my colors got a little murky, so I went back over the flower with pen and ink to make it pop more
- pasted the flower image to the page and started to journal.
I find that drawing on a separate piece of paper often relieves my drawing anxiety, because if I don't like it, it doesn't become something in my journal that I have to cover up or something I am embarassed about every time I see.